Tuesday, April 30, 2013

My Beef With The Royal's

When Prince William married Kate Middleton last year, he didn’t invite me to the wedding. Of course he didn’t, because he does not know me.  So I have no grudges with them or the rest of the British Royal Household.
Closer to home, when Princess Komuntale married an unknown from America, I expected an invite – if not from her but from her mother, Queen Best simply because I am Timothy Bukumunhe. Apart from that connection, the Toro Royal Household did call me up and seek my advice on how to connect them to one of the Mullah’s for a possible wedding contribution. I would have thought it gave me stronger grounds for an invite but, the invite never came. Now, I am not too sure if I should hold a grudge with Princess Komuntale or with Queen Best.
The first time I attended a function at Twekobe, Kabaka Ronald Mutebi’s palace was on his wedding reception to Sylvia Nagginda more than 12 years ago. Since then, I have had no need to go back probably because I am not a Muganda. But I was back there recently for Prince Wasajja’s wedding reception to Marion Nankya last Saturday.  
There is something about Twekobe and being a royal at that including the particular customs that have to be observed when the Kabaka is around. But let’s start off with the wedding. I have to admit that is was well organized despite a 1,200 invited guest list and a probable 300 who crashed because they are Baganda’s and Kabaka is their Kabaka.
While there was more than enough to drink, it was the food that took the biscuit. Mrs. Katende of Spectrum and her team did an excellent job. The portions of food served were more than ample and the chicken masala a pure delight. That was for the invited guests. The rest had to make do with food provided by another service provider that so bland…. – I should stop it there in the best interests of the kingdom and I.
When Kabaka Mutebi and his wife strolled in, I was surprised that they did not notice me yet I was standing inches from their car. That, I took badly. I took it as a snub. I had been very careful about how I stood and did not point my butt in his direction because it is something you just never do to the Kabaka. I was also wore new shoes but he never noticed!
The wedding taught me something. Never invite somebody who has a bigger personality than you to your wedding reception. The Kabaka simply took over. The artistes too didn’t really sing songs for the bride and groom but for the Kabaka. They had to because Kabaka is absolute!
Vice President Edward Sekandi was also there and while he is a Muganda, he needs to pick a leaf or two from his Kabaka when it comes to dressing.
Sekandi wore the over sized suit that he wore when he met Barack Obama at The White House recently. He didn’t look crisp. The suit if anything, looked like it was picked without thought. Kabaka on the other hand, was sharp - in fact, too sleek.
When it comes to sitting, Kabaka does not sit like he is about to have his picture taken for a ‘Wanted by Police’ poster. That he left to Sekandi. Kabaka, sat with a poise, leaning to one side of his chair and pulling at his cuffs.
While Kabaka did not recognize me, I have no beef with him because I attended the reception. The  beef I have, is with Komuntale and Queen Best.

1 comment:

  1. "I was also wore new shoes but he never noticed!" Lol

    ReplyDelete

Rambo, Bond, Segal, Bourne or Arnie – Who Would You Want On Your Side When A Melee Breaks Out?

  John Rambo Like was said by his handler - Colonel Trautman in the movie, Rambo First Blood Part One to police officer Teasel: “ You don...